Monday, May 4, 2009

Event ID 1023: Fatal Execution Engine Error (Solved)

For some time I have been trying to solve this error that crashed my Visual Studio 2008 when ever I wannted to "Choose Items" for the Toolbox.

What worked for me was to uninstall Visual Studio 2008 PowerCommands!

Event Type: ErrorEvent
Source: .NET RuntimeEvent
Category: NoneEvent
ID: 1023
Date: 2-5-2009Time: 16:54:41
User: N/A
Computer: TEAMSUIT2008
Description:.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A035FC0) (80131506)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was having a strange VS crashing issue when trying to open any xaml file in the designer. Just one project but VS just died with this exact same message.

Uninstalling PowerTools cleared it up.

Thanks for posting that info. I scratched my head all weekend over that when rebuilding the project didn't solve the problem.

Jeroen said...

Same problem for me. When the xaml file opened, the status bar showed: initializing toolbar and VS died. As it turned out, the toolbar had never been opened (fresh install on new laptop). Opening the toolbar first caused it to initialize and after that opening the xaml worked.

Anonymous said...

Had similar issue with web.config in my asp.net solution with Crystal Reports. VS would not load solution, but just crash.
businessObjects tags on the end of the config file was on one line. Edited with notepad placed CR in file and then solution would load.
Phil

k4millo said...

Uberhelpful post! Thanks for sharing info.

Unknown said...

I've been having this problem as well, although I don't have PowerTools or Crystal Reports installed. I suspect that it's something to do with xml files opened in the editor when it tries to start up. I was able to open the solution after deleting the .suo and .csproj.user files from the physical folders.

At that point, the source control output shows the same number of 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' messages as the number of projects in the solution.